If you are at all squeamish, please don’t read below…
For the second time this week, Dr. J and I woke up to that awful sound that no parent (ok, we only have dogs, but we’re still parents nonetheless) ever wants to hear in the middle of the night – the wretch. First up was Maggie, puking up a treat in the middle of the night that we gave her before bed – fortunately, she made it to the cork floors just in time. Last night it was Tiki, puking up what I can only imagine was blood from a little dental surgery she had to have yesterday At this point in our dog owning years, we’ve become accustomed to this happening every couple of months, so we’ve got a routine down – listen for the wretch (it’s pretty unmistakable), immediately wake up, and try to direct the dog to the bathroom so it’s easier to clean and/or, more recently, to the cork floors because *those* are also super easy to clean….
Last night….not so lucky. Tiki doesn’t have as much “noisy leadup” as Maggie does and so she’s just overall more quiet and stealth-like. We missed the first go (which was, of course, bigger and more nasty), but were able to get her onto the cork for the second go, thankfully. At this point we’ve kind of worked on our “system” for midnight emergency cleanups – Dr. J handles the mess, I handle the dog (usually taking them outside to see if anything else needs to come out, directing them to water because nobody likes puke-mouth). Last night, it wasn’t so bad, so we switched jobs…..only….Tiki puked up mostly half digested blood leftover from her surgery. We have mostly white-ish/cream carpet in our house….and that @#$% was *nasty*!
Let me explain our carpet cleaning process for those that might be interested…
- Pick up mess (I’m trying to spare you the gorey details…)
- Pour water on stain
- Hold and press paper towels down to “lap it up”
- Continue this process for as long as you possibly can….using up half a paper towel roll in the process.
- ….keep pressing the paper towels….
- Pour more water onto it to water down the stain as much as possible…
- Repeat steps 3-5 in a half asleep stupor….
- Spray carpet cleaner on the spot
- Bring out our spot cleaning machine
- Scrub with cleaning machine
- Suck up excess water with machine
- Empty machine of grody liquid
- Put machine away
- Put away cleaning supplies
- ……you get the point…..
Do you want to know what my process is for cleaning cork/porcelain/hardwood of “pet mess”
- Wipe up mess
- Spray all purpose cleaner
- Go back to bed
….and that, my friends, is why carpet is *Lord*of*the*sith*evil*…..need I say more????? My dream house will be wall to wall wood/porcelain/cork with no carpet in sight. Oh, how I dream a little dream…